At Active Aging in Manitoba (AAIM), we strive to encourage healthy aging choices and behaviours that contribute to optimal health outcomes.
Online learning and connectivity are now more important (and convenient!) than ever before. We’re always eager to share our online educational resources with you. Check back regularly for updated registration details and links.
Below, you’ll find our collection of Webinars:
This webinar will focus on tools and essential strategies to keep eating well for active and vibrant lives.
Join Laura Creek Newman, RD is a dietitian at the Wellness Institute. In her 12 years of practice she has worked with adults of all ages and life stages, and has focused on nutrition counselling for chronic disease management and improved relationship with food.
- Learn about good nutrition and different challenges for older adults
- Learn about navigating affordability, diet needs for health management
- How to a plan meeting your nutrient needs an easier part of life.
- Recognize how vital factors like mental health, social eating, and access are just as important to good nutrition as the foods on the plate
Kick off your self-care with Kamara Tayo-Jones, Social Work Therapist. Focus on your mental well-being, identify sources, and learn strategies that can help you make changes to improve your life.
Join Kamara Tayo-Jones MSW, RSW, Clinical Social Worker, and Therapist from the Wellness Institute to learn how to strengthen your stress response and focus on your mental well-being.
- Describe mental health vs. mental illness
- Recognize the causes and symptoms of mental stress
- Identify different sources of support.
- Learn strategies that can help you make changes to improve your life
Winter has arrived. Join Barret Miller from Fort Whyte Alive and learn how to enjoy the season safely, explore new winter activities, and reap the benefits of being active outdoors.
- Gain a better understanding of the health benefits of being outdoors in the winter
- Enjoy winter activities safely and comfortably as we age
- Learn some practical tips to enjoy your time outdoors in a Winnipeg winter
- Explore some new winter activities to keep you moving all winter!
Learn the health benefits of connecting with nature, the importance of environmental stewardship, and sustainable mobility. Discover green spaces close to home along with activities that you can do safely.
In this pre-recorded Webinar, you’ll learn to:
- Gain a better understanding of the health benefits of being outdoors (physical, emotional, mental wellness)
- Promote and help people connect to urban greenspaces / regional parks (close to home)
- Encourage safe outdoor activity ideas you can do close to home
- Gain a better understanding and encourage sustainable mobility for older adults
- Understand how to be a good environmental steward for the sustainability of our city and environment
About the facilitator
Gil (Guillermo) Penalosa, MBA, Ph.D., CSP. Founder and Chair, 8 80 Cities. Ambassador, World Urban Parks. President, Gil Penalosa & Associates. Founder and Advocate, Our Third Act.
Join Dr. Brigitte Sabourin, Clinical Psychologist and Researcher in the Department of Clinical Health Psychology (Pain Management Centre), for an information session for people and their families dealing with chronic pain and the support available.
About the facilitator
Brigitte Sabourin, MBA, Ph.D., CPsych, Assistant Professor. Department of Clinical Health Psychology, Max Rady College of Medicine, University of Manitoba. This Webinar is free in partnership with the Manitoba Psychological Society.
The goal of this presentation is to reduce the risk of falls among older Manitobans. This discussion will help you understand some of the risks of falling at home and in the community. You’ll receive information to help determine your risk of falling and how to take action to lower your risk.
Presented by AAIM and facilitated by AAIM Peer Leader Coordinator, Sue Mackenzie.